Thursday, November 3, 2011

NaNo Stressing

I'm waaaaay behind on my stats today. My word count is supposed to hit 5,000. I haven't made it past 4,000 yet. Yesterday stressed me out so much and carried over to today that I never got the drive to work. 
Yup. Me D:





But as promised, I have something for you to read. This is the last bit of chapter one; it's one of the times Ciara (my MC) is going to have a good interaction with others. She's kind of a loner, really,and that might show a bit in this snippet. 



“Another pint, Davey,” muttered Ciara.

Davey's Pub was packed, as it always was on Fridays. The place buzzed with chatter, laughter and the cbinks of glasses on wood. The fans above kept the pub from being stiflingly hot. The dimmed chandeliers and lights cast a warm, cozy glow. Ciara had to admit, she'd known the right pub to go to for a calm, comfortable evening.

Davey, the bartender, filled her glass with Guinness. “You seem to be in fine spirits tonight. Not in a state, are ya?”

“Fancied a night out is all.” She gulped a quarter of her beer.

“Uh huh,” he said slowly. “On your lonesome?”

“Yeah,” she grumbled, “Nobody I know to spend it with.”

“None of your work mates?”

“Not a one, so far as I know. Kieran and Kevin, well, Kieran really, I don't see him outside of the bakery. Aileen wouldn't go near me unless she was forced. Dunno about Maggie though.” She heard a burst of loud laughter, and recognized the mouth from which it came. “Alright, now I do. Maggie's around.” She downed the rest of her beer/

“Aye,” he assented as he filled her glass again, “She frequents.”

“And still manages to get up at unholy hours for work? Bless her heart,” she said in awe.

“Davey!” she heard Maggie cry, “Another black and tan over here! And a pitcher of Guinness for the rest of 'em!”

Ciara turned in Maggie's direction. The “rest of 'em” were Kieran and Kevin, Aileen, Moirin, and Breandan. The entire bakery was gathered in a snug, laughing and enjoying the night. She turned morosely back to the bar. She'd never felt so lonely.

“You'll have to get off your arse and fetch it yourself!” he called back.

“Fine then, I will!” Maggie strode over to the bar as Davey set a pitcher on the bar. She looked over and saw Ciara, who by then was looking forward and acting nonchalant. “Well stop the lights! I wasn't expectin' to see you here, of all people!” She clapped a hand on Ciara's shoulder. “What are ya doin' sittin' here on your lonesome? Come join us!” She tugged her up and nearly dragged her to the snug.

“Well now!” said Kieran, “Fancy seein' you tonight!” He scooted and shooed his brother aside to make room for her, and she slid gingerly next to him.

“I thought I'd have a night out,” she said weakly.

“Well you've picked the perfect night for it! You won't be drinking alone!” He put a quick arm around her. “Hey! Get the girl a sandwich, would you, Davey?” He glanced back at her. “My treat.”

“Not on your life!” she replied, “Davey, scratch that! I'll not be having it!”

“Oh yes she will!” countered Kieran.

“Don't do it!”

“Davey, do it, I insist!”

“Will you two make up your feckin' minds? I've got customers you know!” he roared in reply.

“Go on then,” Maggie said, “Let him treat ya! It's not often a man'll pay for your meal, girl.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” she muttered, rolling her eyes.

“Go on, Davey, get the girl a meal,” said Kieran. To Ciara, he said, “Relax, would you? It's no big deal for a friend to treat you once in a while. And I've never seen you here before, so let me take the chance while I have it, alright?”

She responded with a roll of her eyes and a swig of her beer.

As the others chatted, Kieran kept his conversation with her. “So why don't I see you out and about?”

“Can't afford it,” she said, “The flat doesn't pay for itself, you know.”

“Don't I know that,” he nodded. “Ever thought about a flatmate?”

“I keep to m'self, not really keen on the idea of having a flatmate.”

He wrinkled his nose. “Sounds lonely.”

She chuckled. “It's how I like it; quiet and peaceful. But yes, lonely at times.” She stared at the plate that was suddenly set before her. “Do you actually expect me to be able to eat this?”

“What's wrong with it?” rumbled Davey, offended.

“This thing is the size of my head!” she gawked.

The table laughed, and even Davey let out a small chuckle. “You'll be full for the next few days, at least,” laughed Kieran. “Haven't you had a sandwich before?”

“Not like this,” she admitted. She'd never seen one so stuffed. Meat was practically falling out from between the bread. Miraculously, the bread kept it in a precarious balance with cheese and sauerkraut. The height of it couldn't possibly fit in her mouth; it looked as if it would hit the tip of her nose and the bottom of her chin in the same moment if she tried to take a bite. Gingerly, she tried to lift the monstrous thing.

“No, no no, you've got to grab it! Grip it hard and firm, or it'll fall all over the place!”

With a sigh, she snatched it up, her fingers gripping the bread tight. She took a bite (well, half, really, for that's all she could manage) and moaned a sigh of pleasure. She swallowed.

“I do believe I'll be frequenting this place, if only for the food.” The table cheered and Kieran slapped her on the back.

“You'll be pub crawlin' with us, not all on your lonesome anymore, yeah?”

She could only nod, as her mouth was full of corned beef and swiss cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment